About Eleventh Avenue Church
“There is none righteous, no not one.” “For all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God.” (Romans 3:10, 23)
“For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.” “But God commandeth His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” “Much more then, having been justified by His Blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.” (Romans 5:6, 8, 9)
“For there is one God and one Mediator between God and Men, the Man Christ Jesus; Who gave Himself a ransom for us all, to be testified in due time.” (I Timothy 2:5, 6)
“For He hath made Him (Christ) to be sin for us, Who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. (II Corinthians 5:21)
“For by Grace are we saved through faith, and not that of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9)
“Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:1)
Pastor Charles Mays started attending Eleventh Avenue Church in 1976 at the age of eight years old. During his high school years a classmate, Tamara Newman, started attending Eleventh Avenue. Charles and Tamara began dating and were married in 1987 by Pastor R.B. Shiflet, the founding pastor of Eleventh Avenue.
Charles has always been active in the church, preaching his first sermon at the age of sixteen. He started serving as the Youth Minister in 1997. In 2003 he graduated from Grace School of the Bible. He was ordained to the pastorate by the elders of the congregation in May of 2003 and began serving as Assistant Pastor under Pastor R.B. Shiflet and Associate Pastor Jud Lively.
Charles became the pastor of Eleventh Avenue Church in 2006 when Pastor R.B. Shiflet announced that he was stepping down at the age of 87.
Charles is a bi-vocational pastor, employed as a Project Manager for a local industrial fabrication company with a global customer base. He receives no salary from the church, but accepts anonymous financial offerings designated for his personal use.
Charles and Tamara have three sons: Joshua, Jeremy, and Joseph. They enjoy serving the Lord at Eleventh Avenue and are thankful for the love and support they receive from the local church family.
Pastor: Charles Mays
Sunday School Director: Margie McGhee
Youth Events Coordinator: Angela Bolton
Organist: Vera Mae Stilwell
Pianists: Kate Lively & Sherelyn Welch
Song Leaders: Donna Ulrich, Rual Perkins, Beth Henderson and Jimmie White
Guitarists: Chuck Hogan and Charlie McGhee
Treasurer: Coralee Beasley
Trustees: Chairman Jack Lowey , Rodney Butler, Dick Choate, Jim Coats, Ken Gray, Leonard Maner and Richard Stilwell
Webmaster: Robert J. Shiflet
Spiritually, we trace our roots back to the revelation of the Holy Spirit concerning the church, the Body of Christ, found in the writingsof Paul, Apostle, Preacher, Teacher of the Gentiles.
Historically, our local ministry goes back to:
1930’s: Mission in downtown Mineral Wells during the depression, sponsored by College Avenue Church (now Grace Bible Church), Fort Worth. Brother Joe Jones was a tireless worker and led many to the Lord. Home Bible Classes, Camp Meetings, etc. under the direction of Pastor Ike T. Sidebottom, Pastor Elmer Leake and Pastor Paul Leake.
1940’s: Bible classes in the Brazos Valley Schoolhouse, taught by Brother Sidebottom, Pastor Weldon Rightmer and Brother Vernon Bolton. These classes were disbanded in 1947.
Fall of 1949: Bible classes taught by Brother R. B. Shiflet in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hardwick.
January 1950: Week of meetings in small rent house with Bro. Sidebottom, Bro. Shiflet, Bro. Charles Wages, Bro. Joy James, Bro. Leonard Gideon and Bro. Weldon Rightmer preaching. Sunday School and regular service were started and work began on a small chapel, 15 feet by 45 feet. This chapel was dedicated to the Lord on Sunday, March 5, 1950.
1952: Sunday School classrooms were added.
1961: A larger auditorium was dedicated to the Lord on the first Sunday in March.
June 12, 1978: Ground broken for present building. Building occupied in August, completed for dedication on October 8, 1978, debt-free, February 1, 1979.
Summer of 2000: ground was broken for a new wing to the south of the building. This resulted in doubling the size of our fellowship hall, a larger nursery and primary classroom, a spacious kitchen with all new appliances and rest rooms that are fully accessible to the handicapped, including wheel chairs. This new construction is debt-free. We are in the process of adding room-dividers that can convert the fellowship hall into four large classrooms, or open it to one large hall. We are now paying for these partitions and our library cabinets.
2006: Pastor Mays became full-time, senior Pastor of the church.
The Present: The church continues with many spiritual blessings, souls saved, believers edified, Bible Camps, a church bus, east parking lot expanded, additional exterior lighting, more outreach activities, such as prisoner correspondence, additional youth activities including mission trips to Central America, youth outings, etc.